In the "Early Local Roots" section, there is some information about earlier Universalist and Unitarian congregations in Poughkeepsie. It is not clear exactly when the earlier Universalists dissolved, but it appears to have been some time before 1900. The Unitarian congregation dissolved in 1932, and for two decades, there was no official Unitarian organization in the area.
Then a man named Richard Bullen moved to Poughkeepsie. Bullen had been a member of a Unitarian Church in San Francisco, and was surprised to find that a city the size of Poughkeepsie had no Unitarian community. With his energy and enthusiasm, he sparked the interest of some local residents (some "unchurched," some former members of the early Unitarian congregation, and some transplanted Unitarians) in starting a new congregation.
The first formal organizational meeting was held on October 5, 1952, at the home of Robert and Jane Bartel. Dick Bullen was unanimously elected President, Hetty Coombs as secretary and June Gillespie (still an active member, and pictured on this page) as treasurer. Charter members were Richard and Annabelle Bullen, Aaron and June Gillespie, Alfred and Ruth Adams, Herbert P. Arnold, Marion Russell, Charles Hobbs, Mrs. James Hooper and Edward Reser. They were given professional help in getting organized by Munro Husbands, Fellowship Extension from Boston, and by Reverend Howard Box, Unitarian Minister of the Congregation in Newburgh.
The initial group was strongly humanist-oriented and active in social justice causes, with a common goal of creating a religious community that encouraged freedom of thought and freedom of interpretation regarding religious issues.
At first, meetings were held on Sunday evenings in the homes of members, but, in 1954, with membership increasing, the group began meeting in a succession of rented quarters, which included the YMCA, YWCA, Fairview Men's Club, Bowne Hospital (now Dutchess Community College), and the Oddfellows Hall, which, they noted, seemed a very appropriate meeting place for Unitarians!
During this time, 1955-1958, the membership grew from some 20 members to more than 90, aided in part by the creation of a Junior Fellowship in 1955. Availability of religious education for children was very important for many parents.
In October of 1958, the Fellowship purchased the house and property at its present location at 67 South Randolph Avenue, at first holding Sunday services in the largest room of the house, known at the time as the Assembly Room, now known as the Baldwin Assembly Room.
In 1961, the Amercian Unitarian Association and the Universalist Church of America merged, becoming the Unitarian Universalist Association, and the Fellowship became, in essence, a UU congregation (although the official change in name would not happen for more than thirty years!).
Growth made the construction of an addition with a sanctuary, bathrooms and new kitchen a necessity, and our current sanctuary, referred to as The Main Meeting Room, was completed in 1966.
During all this time, the Fellowship had been entirely lay-led, but by the late 1980's, the growth of and interest in the Fellowship made clear the need to call a minister. In 1990, the Fellowship became a Minister/Lay-led congregation when the Reverend Jerry Goddard was called as our first settled minister. He is pictured here with his wife Peg, who was a very welcome addition to the community as well.
Reverend Goddard retired in 1996, and was named Minister Emeritus. Cathy Duhon and Carole Yorke served as student interns while the search was conducted for a new minister.
The Reverend Kay Greenleaf, our second settled minister, was called and began her ministry at the Fellowship in August, 1998. During her time with us, Reverend Kay was on the forefront of the battle for marriage equality. For more about this effort, please click here. Like Reverend Goddard, Reverend Kay came with a spouse - Pat Sullivan - who also became an integral part of our community.
Reverend Greenleaf retired in 2009, at which time the Fellowship hired Reverend Orlanda Brugnola as an interim minister while a new search committee undertook the task of finding a new minister.
In 2011, the Reverend Walter LeFlore accepted the call to be the third called minister of the Fellowship.